Thursday, August 24, 2006

"There can be only one!"









I can almost hear the voice behind the premise of the popular (sci - fi) movie and television series Hilander, proclaiming to the immortal warriors that are to engage in battle each time they come face to face with one another, at the final battle, "there can be only one!" remaining as ruler of the universe. This story wreaks of that premise. It appears that I, Eric Austin (aka Chef E aka Big E), am being confused with one Mr. James Eric Walker, who also calls himself "Big E" It seems to me that there was no newspaper, radio or television mention of Mr. Walker before I coined the recognizable name with my first restaurant "Big E's Soul Food".


Since then, Mr Walker has gained a particular amount of notoriety with using the name, some good, and some not so good... which brings me to my point. Recently in a Star Tribune article posted August 16th, 2006 in CJ's column, the headline reads "Big E and date have a bad night at Trocaderos..." While attending the restaurant / club, Mr. Walker, founder of a Minneapolis African American networking club called "First Fridays" and his date had allegedly recieved poor service (I don't know, I wasn't there) and vowed never to host the group there again. In any event, people all over Minneapolis have been coming to me asking me why I caused such a scene. We are not the same Big E, although I can see why people would think that from reading the name. What other Big E could they be talking about, right? While we both share the name, the issue becomes who can be most associated with it? Well, we would have to go into things like when did people first start calling each of us Big E, or which one of us is oldest and has sported the title longer. My contention is this; Google, yahoo or city search the name Big E's Soulfood and the search engine goes on and on. There's not one mention that I saw readily of Mr. Walker. Hey! whatever the case, when you say the name
BIG E around Minneapolis, people think soulfood! As well they should because really, THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!! Sorry James.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just discovered your website still up and your blog!!!!! We can't wait for you to open up again. Especially with Copeland's also gone, what are we to do when we're craving really great food? Hurry up and come back!

4:22 PM, August 24, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're the one and only Big E. Everybody knows that!!! LOL :)

8:42 PM, August 26, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think you have anything to worry about. I only know of one Big E in town and that is your restaurant. I've never even heard of this James Walker. When are you reopening?

2:10 PM, August 28, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think this says it all EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

8:57 PM, August 28, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back E! We've missed your great food. Big fans of yours from way back!!! P.S. James who??? LOL

7:41 AM, August 29, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are the only Big E soul food cook extrodinaire. Your place is the bomb and I know James and asked him why was he "biting" the last time I saw him. Some people are just hateres that's all E - Don't worry all the ladies of Hennepin County Social Services know who the real deal is. Stay real brother and hurry back, we need our teriyaki wings

9:36 AM, September 07, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have never heard of any other Big E until I read C.J's column and she gives the name of the guy's girlfriend too - which isn't Melanie and we already knew you as Chef Eric Austin, so I was a little confused but only when I read the headline of the article. Once we started reading we ware sure it was someone else and not you and Melanie. I dont think you have anything to worry about but I can see your point. Especially with headlines like that. Have you talked to CJ about it? We think she at least deserves to get an E-mail. We will send it if you think it will help.

1:15 PM, September 07, 2006  
Blogger jenschris said...

There is only one, the only...
One comment about the blog. In the headline it says "Commentary, recipes, insight...". Well, I could really go for a recipe to hold me over until the new restaurant opens. Come on Big E, how about giving up a secret to your loyal fans? Thanks and can't wait for the new digs to open.

8:02 AM, September 08, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home