Sunday, August 13, 2006

"A Taste of the past and present"
Tribute to Mr. Ernest C. Withers



"I look for things of time and value. None of my images deal in violence - they deal in time."
Ernest C. Withers has been a practicing photographer for more than 60 years and still maintains a Beale Street studio in Memphis, Tennessee.
He documented the Civil Rights movement as well as the southern entertainment and social scenes during the 1950's and 60's. Well known and trusted, Withers often traveled with and photographed Martin Luther King, Medgar Evars and James Meredith.




His closeness gave him a unique view of the events and people that shaped the course of American history.
In 1988, Withers entered the Black Press Hall of Fame and is the recipient of the Gordon Parks Legend Award.
I had the privelege of breaking bread with Mr. Ernest C. Withers in my humble restaurant. He is such an important documentor of human events that I knew I had become a viewable part of Black American history when he raised his camera toward me. On an autographed photo he left behind, the inscription read: "You are so great to me Big E, love and regards Ernest C Withers."


He ate the very best Catfish Nicois Salad that I could prepare for him.

-Chef E

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What and honor to have met such an important man. And I'm glad that you took the time to thank him in this special way. I have been to your restaurant and saw all the pictures of the famous people that you have been fortunate enough to have cooked for.
I think you are famous compared to me and I thought it was so nice how you always made us feel special too when we came to visit. Everyone wishes you all the success and when I see you on TV I will tell my kids - I met him and he is a great man. Thank you for the memories.

7:07 AM, August 14, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always like coming to your place. There is soooo much history there. I like it that you have pictures and artwork depicting our heritage. Most soulfood places I've been to in the past usually have those flea market pictures up, but I can tell that you really did your homework (I wanted to stay in your bathroom for an hour, just reading the stuff on the walls :)) Keep up the good work, the African American community can be very proud of what you're doing.

9:58 AM, August 28, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home