Saturday, August 12, 2006



"Think Emeril, but add soul"

Everyone seems to be wondering what I've been up to since closing the restaurant. For awhile, the question bothered me. I'd be out at a social event or bar with my friends and there was always a barrage of "Hey, Big E, what cha doing now?, or where are you cooking these days? Then I rethought the matter. Instead of being annoyed I became grateful. Afterall, they could not be wondering. So, with that in mind here's the latest...
Back in Febuary of this year, I went on a casting call for a television reality cooking show called "Recipe for Disaster" through a production company called Kitchen Rescue (they're listed in my links and on my web site) The concept for this particular show is to see whether a gourmet meal could be created using the change found under your couch cushion (provided that it's about $10 or so) from the local convenient store like Super America or 7 Eleven. We shot in Milwaukee Wisconsin so the store of choice was The Open Pantry (similar) Anyway think cooking idiot meets Iron Chef. That's where I come in. How does this relate to soul food? Well, the whole concept reminds me of how my grandmother would open what seemed like an empty kitchen pantry, and within a couple of hours come up with the biggest soul feast you could imagine.
That's what soulfood is, making something spectacular with little means. Slave mammies did it with throw away scraps and now they are making shows about it. Imagine that. So, I'm able to take the foundation of my grandmother's soulful attitude, along with my formal culinary training and combine the two. Just think Emeril, but add soul.
The veiwing networks gave such a positive response to my performance that there is even talk of a spin - off show featuring "your's truly" called Chef E's Soul Kitchen, and a host of E-books and kitchenware merchandise with my John Hancock on them. Once again, visit the site for further updates from the producers regarding where it will air, and network. I know that they're in negotiation now with several networks, but that's not my end of it, so I have to wait just like you. My job is to show up, cook an amazing dish and be pretty ( I'm ready for my close up Mr. Deville)
Oh, there's also the fact that the show is being hosted by one of the Girls of Maxim Magazine (fellows, you know the one) I assured my wife that it was a job like any other, and that I would suffer through it :)
Check out the link and tell me what you think. "It's a beautiful thing" (It's no BAM!, but it's mine)

-Chef E

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go E!!! For years, every since Emeril came out, I've bee saying that there wasn't any black representation on these cooking shows. I watch the food network all the time and they got this new black guy doing cakes and stuff. But I would love to see you become the black emerile. Do you know when?

4:53 PM, August 12, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knew when I used to watch you standing out in front of your shop that you were headed for big things. You always took the time to speak to me whenever I walked by and you even gave me a free dessert once when I was in your shop. I was sorry to see you close but I am happy that you are going on to do something to make black people proud. We're watching you and may God bless you.

8:55 PM, August 12, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home