Friday, September 12, 2008

Pulp Fiction

"If you want me to stay, I'll be around today, to be available for you to see. But I have to go, so then you'll know, for me to be here, I got to be me. Never be in doubt of what I'm all about, you can't take me for granted and smile, because when I'm gone, can't be reached by the phone, cause I promise I'll be gone for awhile..."

Sly and the Family Stone "If you want me to stay"













Well, here we go again! Let me start by saying that I apologize to all of those customers that were excited about my return to the Mpls/St. Paul culinary circle, only to be met with immediate controversy - yet again. I greatly appreciate your following and support. Those of you that came to visit me at Bourbon Street Steak House and saw the magnificence of the place - it's architecture and style, knew that it was a project that I was truly proud of. As I came out to greet each table, you all seemed pleased, satisfied and sincerely gratified by the cuisine that I took great care in developing and presenting to you.
Bourbon Street Steak House was to be my tribute to the great cuisine of New Orleans, and pay homage to the type of Southern hospitality and bon temps (good times) the namesake is known for. So what happened!!!???
Once upon a time, in a land kinda far away, - So. Saint Paul, there was a huge castle with no one to rule in it. I was called upon to create a restaurant suitable enough for such a grand setting. For two months, day and night, I toiled and created such a place - Bourbon Street Steak House. The towns people and people from other lands across the river said it was good, and they began to come. The newspapers and the ever feared critics all said - Big E is back! (In a good way!)
  • Jeremy Iggers Review - The Rake

  • Rachel Hutton Review - CityPages


  • And people ate and drank - steaks, gumbo, jambalaya and smoking hurricanes - and cheered,"all praises! all praises!"

    When the owner saw that all was good, and the cake had been baked, how much better would the cake be, if it didn't have to be shared? Have it and eat it too...good plan if you can get it to work. Not an original plan by any means - many have tried. But what the hey - let's give it a shot.
    So, he let me know that he would be taking over from this point on, and that I should have no trouble getting picked up elsewhere. "Come back," he asked, "every two weeks or so, to give us a once over to see if we are getting the sauce right. You'll be given some sort of compensation of course, I don't know what yet - I'll think of something fair."

    Shakespeare once asked, "what's in a name?" My answer, integrity, branding, association, trust and last but certainly not least - "$$$$$$$" that's what. Just ask the place with the golden arches. I didn't even have to say their name and you Mcknew who I was Mctalking about. So I'll use your name and cuisine while you stand proud on the unemployment line and boast to others how [I thought of that] - now, how long does my benefits run?
    Well that's enough crying over spilled Gumbo, evacuation was in order, because when it hurricanes, it pours!!!

    My grandfather's name was Solomon Austin. Named so after the wise biblical King, and wore the name with what I believe the same wisdom given the King. He told me once, "If you dig a ditch for someone, make sure it's big enough to fit you in case you fall in."

    16 Comments:

    Blogger Unknown said...

    I can't believe it. My husband and I and another couple were just there on 9/6 to celebrate birthdays and we had a great conversation with you. We have been raving to everyone ever since, mostly based on your visit and your AMAZING food. I found your blog because I was looking for a place to comment about how awesome the experience was. I am so disappointed and will no longer be promoting this place. I look forward to your next endeavor and will be one of the first in line. Good luck to you Chef E! You deserve the best!

    1:20 PM, September 12, 2008  
    Blogger HungryinSW said...

    Chef Austin,

    Any update on the House of Soul? I didn't make it to Bourbon Street yet, and needless to say, I won't be making it and I got a cravin' for some Soul Food!

    8:36 AM, September 16, 2008  
    Blogger Chef E said...

    about the absolute injustice that is being done to you! I have read your Blog and cannot understand why people like this are able to thrive in the world by putting others down! Stay on your feet - cause good will no doubt come to you.
    My Grandmother always told me, "Chi tante male azioni fa, una grossa ne aspetta" which means "He who does many bad deeds can expect a big one in return."
    I know words may be not much consolation, but I am telling everyone I know not to go there and am sending this to you because I want you to know that a stranger has got your back.


    Mike Pensicoli
    Saint Paul

    1:19 PM, September 16, 2008  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hello,
    I just wanted to let you know that I will not be recommending this
    restaurant to anyone either. Without you in that kitchen
    there is no soul food. I hope that you'll open another restaurant
    someday, your food was amazing!


    Best Wishes,

    A Loyal Big E's Customer

    1:26 PM, September 16, 2008  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Chef Big E,
    I took my boyfriend in to Bourbon Street for dinner on Saturday and heard what happened, and I just wanted to express to you my anger and disappointment at the fact that the Twin Cities food scene has screwed you over once again. I looked over your blog, and I'm sorry I'm not wording this as eloquently as I would like to.
    I also wanted to tell you that going into that first tasting, your menu scared the bejeezus out of me. I've got the blandest roots imaginable, French Canadian and Scandinavian, and most of the things that were served I had never even seen before. I was thinking I'd eat all of it, out of manners more than anything, but I was honestly blown away by each dish. Every person that walked through that door could taste your heart and soul in every recipe, foodie or not. I wanted to thank you for sharing Creole food with me, and for the opportunity to work beside you, however brief the experience was. If you need someone once Chef E's House of Soul gets ready to open, you know where to find me. Either way, I'll definitely be stopping by, I'm hooked on your food!
    My sincere best wishes in all of you future endeavors,
    Kate

    1:27 PM, September 16, 2008  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    That is bullshit!!!!!! Dick Defoe has no idea who he is letting go of.
    They are dead in the water....... It's sad that bourbon street will now fail, as did the horrible TreVina under his management. I'm sorry to hear this and i know you will land on your feet. There are many people that respect the name Big E, and I just hope you stay in the twin cities so others can experience the best deep-south cuisine the Mid-west has to offer. Thank you for your time, and the best of luck to you!

    Matt Mallinger
    (The liquor store clerk)

    Keep me in mind if you ever need a reliable line cook.]
    m.mallinger@my.twincitiesculinary.com

    1:28 PM, September 16, 2008  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi.
    I had heard about this restaurant and was planning to celebrate my 40th birthday with friends in October.

    I am glad you posted your message. I will not be attending this restaurant for my celebration.

    I am very sorry for the Shafting you received.

    Best wishes to you in the future.

    Sincerely

    Liese Tilson

    1:30 PM, September 16, 2008  
    Blogger UrbanScene said...

    Great food is the chef and the chef brings the spirit and soul to it. After years of working with top chefs at Peking Garden, they were forced to relocate and had to let go of their best dim sum chef. Since then the only decent dim sum is far away at Mandarin Kitchen in Bloomington where its so busy you can barely fit in the door.

    You always know when "that cook" isn't in the kitchen based on the dish that comes out. There are so many details which can't be learned in a month. You need to breathe your recipes! As such, Big E, you know my friends have your back. We both are adventurers in offering this land flavors and tastes it doesn't have. And that must be respected.

    How many times does Dara predict this! Regardless of how many diamond studded sheep leather booths and $3 martinis you have, it doesn't mean anything without fabulous food.

    4:04 PM, September 16, 2008  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I met you at the restaurant when you came over to the table and treated me my wife and her family like royalty. My wifes mother was so impressed when she told you that she had been to New Orleans and that they flamed a dessert for her, and a few minutes later, you came out and gave her a flaming dessert. She is very upset at how they are portraying you. We will be looking for your new restaurant.

    8:00 AM, September 19, 2008  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Just read the city pages blog and I am confused at why you posted the picture of yourself as the Hulk. Do you think it helps to show your kind side. I have eaten at all of your restaurants and you seem very nice. But then I remember the show and Bill Bixby always was nice but he told people not to make him angry. I hope that's it, those charges paint a bad picture of a guy that I never saw.

    8:06 AM, September 19, 2008  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Man you and I know that this is the same ol sh-t that Jason pulled at Soul City. It's about time that somebody showed these con men that they just can't take people's sh-t and get away with it. More power to you brother.

    8:08 AM, September 19, 2008  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Big E is a good brother. Have you ever seen him in the restaurant doing anything but making sure people are fine and laughing and having a good time. If partners are pushing him too far no one should be surprised that he's angry. What would you do????????

    8:11 AM, September 19, 2008  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Why does this man keep getting so much press? He is obviously a time bomb. Why would anyone go into business with him? He might be a good cook, but that's not how to run a business. His partners were probably doing him a favor.

    8:14 AM, September 19, 2008  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Whoever wrote that last comment don't know @#$#%. These people wanted what E had and couldn't do it themselves. That's the behavior of PIMPS!!!!

    8:17 AM, September 19, 2008  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Big E was the first person to show me gourmet food in a casual and non-theatening setting. Everthing that you thought about food was changed after the experiences you had. The music, the food and the personality together made for a safe place that took you away from all the bad in the world. I wish the bad would just stay away from his restaraunts for a while and let him have some good in return.

    8:58 AM, September 20, 2008  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    This stupid act by the owner is truly tastless and so is the food in this town without our fav Soul Chef

    8:29 AM, September 23, 2008  

    Post a Comment

    << Home